Sunday, December 28, 2008

Turkey Gizzards anyone?

This thanksgiving I was so fortunate to be off on Thursday and Friday. I decided since Ben's sister-in-law made a huge Turkey dinner last year, I would attempt to tackle the task this year. It was so much fun. I had my cooking schedule all planned out by Thanksgiving day. I had never made/baked a turkey before and it scared the beegeebys out of me. I was up at 8am, prepping the bird. I was washing it out. I took what I thought was the neck of the bird out.....keep reading it gets funny. I put the flour in the bag and stuck the bird in. I tossed on some rosemary and thyme on top of the bird (which made the turkey taste and smell so nice.) I then began cooking all the other dishes. Ben's brother and sister-in-law came over. We also had the Beagley's from church and Dave Sarle over as well.
At 130, it was time to take the turkey out. We all sat down at 2, and pigged out. The turkey turned out great as well as the other foods. When dinner was done, I decided to cut the rest of the meat off the turkey for leftovers. As I was doing this, I noticed a plastic baggie in the middle of the turkey. I just realized that I didnt fully remove all the insides, that the baggie was the gizzards - so gross. Oh well, at least I am ready for next year :)

No comments: